I recently attended the Tolkien: Maker of Middle Earth exhibit at the Morgan Library, and I wondered if anyone had created a true Tolkin-esque font. I did a search for fonts that look similar to fire-writing, the handwritten font J.R.R Tolkien invented in 1953. You can see an example on the exhibition web page. My findings are below.
There are plenty of runic or “elvish” fonts, but I was only looking for Tolkien-esque fonts that resembled fire-writing.
- Hobbiton (2 styles) by Nancy Lorenz
- Tengwar Annatar by Johan Winge
- Elven Common Speak by Nancy Lorenz
- Tencele Latinwa by Ronald Kyrmse
- Tengwar Cursive (not related) by Harri Perälä
- Thimfora 79 by Naraphim Mirojzhum
Nancy Lorenz is clearly a fan of Tolkien and The Hobbit!